Is this your next family favourite? Mac ‘n’ cheese just got better…. if that’s even possible! Our tuna cherry tomato mac ‘n’ cheese version has cherry tomatoes and tuna for extra flavour and is one of those easy affordable dishes the whole family will enjoy. Try it and let us know what your family think.
tuna cherry tomato mac ‘n’ cheese
- 1 425g can Safcol Tuna in springwater, drained
- 400g macaroni pasta, slightly undercooked following pack instructions
- 100g butter
- 4 tablespoons plain flour
- 1½ cups milk
- 1½ cups low salt chicken or vegetable stock
- 1½ cups of grated tasty cheese, packed
- 1 heaped teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoon Tabasco (optional)
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 punnet cherry or mini roma tomatoes, cut in half
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley (optional)
tuna cherry tomato mac ‘n’ cheese method
Pre heat oven to 180oC
In large heavy pan, on a medium low heat melt the butter, stir in the flour. Stirring all the time, cook for about a minute or until the flour and butter mixture is slightly sandy looking. Using a metal whisk, add the stock and milk in a steady stream whisking until combined and smooth. Turn the heat to medium and whisk or beat until the sauce starts bubble and thicken to make a smooth thick sauce. Tip: if you have a few lumps, whisk faster!
Add 1 cup of the grated cheese and the mustard, stir until well combined. Stir in the tuna and 2/3rds of the cherry tomatoes. Then fold in the slightly undercooked macaroni. Season generously with salt and pepper and Tabasco if you like it.
Tip: You can use any pasta you like for this dish, penne or spirals work really well too. Transfer to a large oven proof baking dish. Scatter the remaining cheese across the top of the pasta and decorate with the remaining tomatoes. Bake for about 30 minutes until the tuna, mac ‘n’ cheese is golden brown and piping hot. Sprinkle with chopped parsley and serve hot with a garden salad.
Serves 4. Preparation time 15 minutes. Cooking time 30 minutes. (excluding pasta cooking time)