Dry eyes from prolonged screen time
by Ashleigh Feltham
Accredited Practising Dietitian and Accredited Nutritionist
Are you looking at a screen for most of your day? The average person spends over 10 hours looking at a screen. The consequence for most is dry eyes and reaching for the nearest eye drops for relief. There is another way to help your eyes feel better and it comes in the form of fat called omega-3 fat. This type of fat is polyunsaturated fat and is known to be important for brain, heart, and artery health but now you can add eyes to this list of health benefits!
When looking at omega 3 their breakdown of two acids EPA and DHA are the components which create the health benefits. These two components are found in all the quality seafood products sold by Safcol.
180mg of EPA and 120mg of DHA was taken by participants in two studies which concluded those who were taking these supplements showed a significant decrease in the amount of eye tear evaporation. A factor to consider is both studies used supplements however food can provide equal if not more significant health benefits due to its health matrix. Aim to include 100g of cooked fish or a 95g tin 2-3 times a week to give your body its needed omega-3 fat requirements.
Try these ideas to include more seafood in your week:
- 95g of Safcol tuna in spring water paired with 2-3 whole-grain crackers and ¼ of an avocado on top.
- Add 100g of Safcol salmon to a dish with 1 cup of Asian vegetable mix with ½ cup of brown rice. Try seasoning with basil and chilli instead of adding salt.
- Rice paper or sushi roll using salmon from a Safcol Salmon Pouch for lunch. Try to add a serve of edamame on the side to increase the vegetable content in the meal.
- Safcol Brisling Sardines in Tomato Sauce 110g on toast with a side of cooked spinach, mushrooms, and tomato.
- When eating out instead of opting for the meat and 3 veg why not try the fish instead? A health trick is to order the side with vegetables instead of chips.
Take home message
If you already enjoy Safcol products this is another reason to make sure you are enjoying the seafood 2-3 times a week. If not give one of the delicious varieties a try and check out the endless supply of recipes to make any meal in your day a good one!