Mini sardine fish cakes with chipotle tomato mayonnaise
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Easy
- 3 x 110g Safcol Brisling Sardines in oil, drained
- 1 free-range egg, beaten
- 2 spring onions, very finely sliced
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh coriander leaves
- sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons chickpea (besan flour) plus extra for dusting
chipotle tomato mayonnaise
- ½ cup egg mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped chipotle chilli in adobo sauce (or 2 teaspoons of Tabasco chipotle sauce)
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
Vegetable oil for frying
- Place the drained fish in a medium mixing bowl. Add remaining fish cake ingredients. Gently mix together until just combined. Season to taste.
- Lightly cover a large plate with chickpea flour.
- Use a small ice cream scoop or 1/2 tablespoon round measuring spoon, scoop the fish cake mix into small balls. Place on the flour dusted plate. Repeat until all the mixture is used. Dust the tops of the cakes lightly with more chickpea flour.
- One by one, roll the balls lightly in your hands, and then flatten into small fish cakes, you should end up with 18-20 patties. Cover and refrigerate for 30mins.
- While the fish cakes chill, mix together the chipotle mayonnaise ingredients and season to taste.
- On a medium heat, pour oil ½ cm deep into a medium frying pan. Heat until the oil starts to shimmer, fry the fish cakes turning once until golden on both sides. Drain on absorbent kitchen paper.
- Serve the fish cakes hot, with toothpicks for easy dipping and a bowl of the chipotle tomato mayonnaise.