Sardine puttanesca spaghetti
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Easy
- (5 /5)
- 2 ratings
- 2 x 110g can Safcol Brisling Sardines in Tomato Sauce
- 300g spaghetti
- 1 small onion, finely sliced
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium garlic clove, crushed
- 1 long red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped or1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 400g can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dark brown sugar
- 3 anchovy fillets, chopped (optional)
- ½ cup black pitted Kalamata olives
- rind of ½ lemon,finely grated
- ½ cup flat leave parsley chopped
- shaved Parmesan
- a few parsley leaves
- Cook the pasta following the pack instructions for ‘al dente’.
- While the pasta cooks, in a medium frying pan on a medium heat, add the onion and 2 tablespoons of the olive oil, stirring occasionally while you fry until soft and just turning colour. Add the garlic, cooking for about 30 seconds until it smells fragrant. Stir in the chilli, anchovy fillets (if you’re using them), crushed tomatoes, lemon rind and sugar. Cook, stirring occasionally until the tomato liquid has almost totally reduced. Stir in the parsley leaves, Safcol Brisling Sardines and olives. Season generously with salt & pepper, then remove from the heat.
- Once the pasta is cooked and drained, toss through the remaining olive oil and then the sardine puttanesca sauce.
- Divide the pasta into 4 bowls and top with shaved Parmesan and a few parsley leaves. Serve immediately with crusty ciabatta and a salad