Smoked salmon with poached egg pan-grilled asparagus and lemon aioli
- 1 x 95g can Safcol Premium Smoked Salmon, drained
- 2 very fresh large eggs
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 10-12 asparagus spears, woody ends removed
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
for the aioli
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice (to taste)
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Mix the sea salt and garlic together in a mortar and pestle until creamy. Place the egg yolk, mustard, lemon zest in a bowl and whisk together, then begin to slowly drizzle the oil in, a little at a time, constantly whisking. When the sauce has thickened add the garlic and lemon juice and season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
TIP If you're short of time instead of making Aioli from scratch you can use store-bought mayonnaise and just flavour it with the garlic, mustard and lemon zest and juice.
- Heat the oil in a heavy skillet over a medium to high heat and add the asparagus. Cook until beginning to blister on the outside but is still holding its shape. Place the asparagus on two serving dishes and spoon the smoked salmon over the top.
- Whilst the asparagus is cooking, half fill a deep saucepan over a medium heat and add the vinegar. Swirl the water with a spoon before breaking the eggs into the middle, one at a time, being careful not to break the yolks. Allow to simmer for approximately 4 minutes or until the egg white has just become firm and no longer opaque. Gently remove the eggs with a slotted spoon and blot any excess water with paper towel. Sit the eggs on top of the salmon and asparagus and season with freshly ground black pepper. Serve with aioli and lemon wedges.