Red white and green, the colours of the Italian flag. These tuna basil stuffed cherry tomatoes are a scrumptious, Mediterranean inspired treat. What’s more, if you’re summer veggie patch has a bumper crop of cherry tomatoes, then this makes a great snack!
Tuna basil stuffed cherry tomatoes
- Prep Time
- 1 x 95g can Safcol Yellowfin Tuna Chunks Italian Style in Oil, drained
- 3 tablespoons soft cream cheese, at room temperature
- 1 tablespoon Parmesan, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, very finely chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 12 large cherry tomatoes, ideally with the green tops still attached
- Using a very sharp knife, cut the top quarter off the tomatoes and set aside.
- Use a melon baller or a small teaspoon to scoop the seeds and flesh from the centre of each tomato. Discard the seeds and finely chop any flesh, place in a medium bowl to use as part of the stuffing.
- Add the tuna, cream cheese, Parmesan and finely chopped basil to the bowl with the chopped tomato, use a fork or spoon to mash everything together. Season to taste. Spoon the tuna mixture generously into each hollowed out tomato, place the top back as a lid on at a jaunty angle. Eat immediately or chill and eat within 2-3 hours.