Tuna cauliflower cheese pie
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Easy
- (4.9 /5)
- 5 ratings
- 2 x 185g can Safcol Tuna in Springwater, drained
- 2 cups vintage or tasty Cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium cauliflower, cut in large florets
for the sauce
- 1 teaspoon whole grain mustard
- 5 large spring onions, finely sliced
- 2½ tablespoons plain flour
- 1 cup milk
- ¾ cup low salt chicken stock
- 75g butter
- Tabasco (optional)
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven 180°C.
- Place the cauliflower on an oven tray and drizzle with little olive oil. Roast for about 10 minutes until still firm but just starting to brown, then remove from the oven.
- Lightly oil an ovenproof quiche or flan dish (about 25cm across).
- In a large sauté pan or deep frying pan on a low heat, melt the butter, adding three quarters of the sliced spring onion and cook gently for 1-2 minutes. Sprinkle flour over the butter and spring onions and stir quickly. Slowly pour in the milk and stock stirring continuously, now turn the heat up to medium low and keep stirring until the sauce thickens and starts to bubble. The sauce needs to be quite thick and smooth. Remove from the heat, add 1½ cups of grated cheese and the mustard. Season to taste with salt and pepper and a small dash of Tabasco. Spread the tuna evenly over the base of the quiche dish, then pile the cauliflower florets over the tuna. Top with the sauce and sprinkle the rest of the Cheddar cheese. Then bake for 15-20 minutes until the top turns golden brown. Scatter with the remaining spring onions and serve piping hot, with crusty bread and a green salad.