Tuna rainbow picnic pie
- (5 /5)
- 1 rating
- 1 x 425g Safcol Responsibly Fished Tuna in Springwater 425g, drained
- 450g butternut pumpkin peeled cut in 3-4mls slices
- 1 large onion, finely sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 400g waxy potato’s (Dutch creams or kipflers) peeled and finely sliced.
- 4 sheets butter puff pastry
- 3 small cooked beetroot, sliced, drained on absorbent kitchen paper
- 1 cup of fresh or frozen peas
- 330g jar roasted red peppers, drained on absorbent kitchen paper, cut open
- 200g feta, drained and crumbled
- 10 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 small bunch parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons dry bread crumbs
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Gently fry the onion in 1 tablespoon of the olive oil until soft (about 5 mins)
- Place the sliced pumpkin, in a single layer, on a large baking tray drizzle with the remaining olive oil. Bake for about 10 minutes or until just tender. Remove from the oven.
- Boil the potatoes until just tender and drain.
- Oil and line a 20x30cm 5cm deep pie dish with baking paper.
- Line the base with 2 sheets of pastry, sealed together with your fingers. (Leave the edges overhanging the dish).
- Sprinkle bread crumbs over the base.
- Cover the base with a single layer sliced beetroot.
- Cover the beetroot with a single layer of roast capsicum and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Top the capsicum with a layer of flaked tuna, and feta.
- Season again. Scatter in the chopped parsley and peas.
- Beat the eggs and pour very gently into the pie. (Keep back a small amount to glaze the top of the pie)
- Season again and add a layer of cooked sliced potato, and finally a roasted pumpkin layer.
- Finish the pie with the remaining pastry sheets (overlap the sheets and stick together with a little water), press the top and bottom pastry edges together, trim and either crimp together with your fingers or a fork.
- Decorate the top with some of the pastry off cuts. Brush with beaten egg. Transfer to the preheated oven.
- Turn the oven down to 180°C and bake for 1½ hours or the pie is until golden brown and the egg is set. (If the pie browns too fast, cover with baking paper and remove 20,minutes before the end of the cooking time).
- Allow to cool slightly and cut into 12. Serve warm or cold with salad.