Spicy tuna olive pasta bake
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Difficulty Level Easy
- (5 /5)
- 2 ratings
- 1 x 425g can Safcol Tuna in Olive Oil, drained
- 1 large brown onion, peeled and finely diced
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 medium cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 fresh jalapeño chilli, deseeded, finely chopped (optional)
- ½ red capsicum deseeded and sliced
- 2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- 1 700ml bottle tomato passata
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano leaves or 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 350g dry spiral or penne pasta
- ½ cup pitted black Kalamata olives
- ¾ cup grated cheddar or tasty cheese
- a few oregano leaves (optional)
- Preheat Oven to 180°C
- Cook the pasta to just underdone (‘al dente’) following the manufacturers instructions. Drain and set aside.
- In a large frying or sauté pan on a medium heat add the olive oil and the diced onion, capsicums and fresh chilli (if using it). Cook gently, stirring occasionally for 4-5 minutes or until the onion is soft and just starting to change colour and the capsicum and chilli are just starting to soften. Add the garlic and cook for another minute or until fragrant.
- Pour in the passata, any juices from the can of Tuna, the brown sugar and herbs, bring the sauce up to a fast simmer and cook for about 10 minutes or until the flavours combine and the sauce thickens slightly. Add the Safcol tuna, stir to combine. Check the seasoning and add salt and pepper to taste (tip: season generously). In the pan (if its large enough) or a large bowl, stir together the tuna flavoured tomato sauce and the cooked pasta, transfer the tuna and sauce coated pasta to a large oven proof dish, smooth the top down a little, scatter with pitted black olives and top with grated cheese. Bake for 30 minutes or until the top is golden brown and the pasta is piping hot. Serve scattered with fresh oregano leaves (if using them) and a fresh green salad.
- Serves 4. Preparation time 20 minutes. Cooking time 30 minutes excluding the pasta cooking time.